Ombre Napkin Ring (from tape dispenser roll!)

Feb 24, 2012

This project costs practically nothing, since the actually napkin ring is made from your trash. More specifically, the plastic tape roll inside the tape dispenser!

This is a great ombre project! In case you aren't familiar with the definiton of ombre, you can find it right here.

Supplies:
One plastic ring tape dispenser (I seriously have no idea what to call them - tape rolls?)
about 3-6  long pieces of embroidery floss in one general color, ranging from light to dark
scissors
a bit of glue

 Start with the tape dispenser roll...

 ... and time to get out all those millions of packs of embroidery floss we all know we have! (atleast I do!)
 Mark off even sections, depending on how many different shades of color you are using (I used 5)
 Start wrapping!
When you switch to a new color, you can either tie off the first color you're using, or (like I did) just wrap the next color over the [first] end of the strand.

To tie off, simply knot or glue (I kind of did both!) whatever bits are sticking out. You're done!


(P.S. I spent the day at the lake - so pretty!)

Also, I'm auditioning for Nap Time Crafters: American Crafter! Have a blog? Join in too! (button in sidebar)

inspire. create.

Linking to:
Visit thecsiproject.com

27 comments:

Julie said...

Thank You for participating in Show Your Stuff Blog Hop, You are invited to come back:
http://juliejewels1.blogspot.com/2012/02/stuffed-green-peppers-show-your-stuff.html

Alicia@ eco friendly homemaking said...

Oh what an adorable idea. It turned ot so cute. I found your blog through the hop and am glad I did.

Amy said...

Oh, WOW! How cute is that?! And what a great idea to upcycle one of those tape rolls...genius! Would you consider sharing here?

http://oneartmama.blogspot.com/2012/02/shine-on-fridays-16-and-some-fabulous.html

Kate @ A Creative Cookie said...

Thanks Alicia!!!

Brie Holtrop said...

Wow! This is so smart! I will definitely start saving those tape things now too!

Thanks so much for following me! I'm excited to be following back!! :)

Brie @ BreezyPinkDaisies

Kate @ A Creative Cookie said...

Thanks Brie!!! (I wish I had more used tape dispensers. I could make a set!) :] Thanks for following!

jamie @ [kreyv] said...

Love this idea! Totally going to have to start saving my tape rolls!

Kristen @ My Covered Bridge said...

This is so cute! I love the orange - really pretty!

Kate @ A Creative Cookie said...

Thank you! I plan on pairing the orange up with a set (once I get enough tape rolls) of spring colors!

Kate @ A Creative Cookie said...

Thanks!!! I wish I could use up tape faster! ;)

Beverly {Flamingo Toes} said...

This is so pretty! I love the colors and I would never have thought of using a tape ring as a napkin ring! Great idea!

Kate @ A Creative Cookie said...

Thanks! When I first kept the tape roll, I thought 'What on earth am I going to do with this?' :P Well, now I know!

<3

Rosemary@villabarnes said...

Great repurposing idea. Love the colors.

Six Sisters said...

This is so creative for a napkin ring!! We loved having you link up to our "Strut Your Stuff Saturday." We hope you'll be back! -The Sisters

LauraMae said...

cute!

Serendipity and Spice said...

Fantastic! I love projects that repurpose something we would normally throw away! Thanks for linking up to Manic Monday!
Melissa

Q @ JAQS said...

This is such a cute project. Great way to recycle :)


Love for you to share this at my Wednesday's "Made by ME" Linky Party here: http://www.jaqsstudio.com/2012/02/made-by-me-20-linky-party.html

creativejewishmom/sara said...

love it! i did something really similar using some plastic from a soda bottle, for a Mexican themed table! But I love the ombre version. thanks so much for sharing on Craft Schooling Sunday!

Nancy First said...

Very cool! I love finding ways to reuse stuff.

Molly said...

So clever! And I learned something new, what ombre means :) I'd love for you to come link your craftiness up at my *Get Creative* party
http://www.justalittlecreativity.com/2012/02/get-creative-party-3-and-fun-features.html
Hope to see you there!
-Molly

Shannah @ Just Us Four said...

This is seriously so cute! I am always looking for napkin rings but hate paying so much for them. Thanks for sharing this!

Amy said...

Featuring you on One Artsy Mama tomorrow!

Hani@Craftionary said...

Cute! Love your color choice
Thanks for linking up at friday fun party
Love
Hani
http://craftionary.net

Becolorful said...

Adorable! Thanks for sharing this on BeColorful
pam

Carrie said...

What a great idea!! Thank you for sharing at Sharing Saturday! I hope you will share with us again this week!

Polkadot-pretties said...

Fabulous project!!!
Thank you for linking up, hope you will stop by my blog today and link up another great project...
Claire xox
http://polkadot-pretties.blogspot.com/

Julianna, Jade, Janae, Jamie said...

GREAT idea! I i love anything ombre!